Programming Challenge: Mission Accomplished

27 Sep 2016

Heads Up Before August 2018 Saber was known as "BugMuncher", so you'll see the name BugMuncher instead of Saber throughout these older posts. You can read more about the name change here - BugMuncher rebrands to Saber.

It was a hell of a week, but I managed to complete my self-set programming challenge.

Some numbers

Total time spent on the challenge was 32.25 hours, which may not seem like much, but considering I still had to complete the normal day-to-day running of BugMuncher tasks, and I don’t buy in to the whole you must work 80 hour weeks to be successful bullshit, it was a pretty full on week of programming.

The average time spent on this challenge per day was 6.25 hours, with the maximum for one day being 8.5 hours (💩 Basecamp), and the minimum being just 3 hours (❤️ Pivotal Tracker).

According to git diff --shortstat I

  • Changed 91 files
  • Wrote 2,934 new lines of code
  • Removed 177 lines of code

So that’s a net difference of 2,787 new lines of code, or 86.42 lines of code / hour.

I don’t consider lines of code to be a useful metric for productivity, but damn, that’s a lot of code.


In a previous blog post, I attempted to pass this challenge off as a marketing exercise, as I’d be able to have BugMuncher included in the third-party service’s app directories.

I’ve submitted to Asana’s App Page, and it’s pending approval.

Pivotal Tracker very quickly added BugMuncher to their Integrations Page, as well as tweeting about it, with a link to my blog post:

I’ve submitted to MailChimp’s Integrations Directory, which is also pending approval.

Both the GitLab Application Page and the Basecamp Integrations Page require me to fork their repository, add BugMuncher, and submit a pull request, which I haven’t yet done, but that’s my task for today.

Lessons Learned

First, and most importantly - this was a really bad idea. Rushing to get something done sucks, especially when programming. You’re gonna make mistakes, and it takes all the fun out of it. I certainly won’t be trying something like this again any time soon.

I did learn a lot about API’s and what makes them good to work with:

This is probably the most valuable takeaway from last week, as I’m planning to make BugMuncher’s API public soon, and I want to make sure it’s more Pivotal Tracker, and less Basecamp.


At the end of each day, I wrote a quick blog post documenting what I did that day, and how long it took, you can read those posts here:

- Matt

Get Meaningful Feedback from your Customers and Team

Discover Trends, Improve User Experience & Identify Bugs

Start my free trial

10 day free trial, no credit card required.